FAEO President Bio Data
Ing. (Mrs) Carlien Bou-Chedid is a Consulting Structural Engineer with specialist earthquake engineering knowledge and 35 years of experience covering engineering design and supervision, project management, corporate governance and the professional education of engineers.
From 2003 to 2010, Carlien was the Executive Secretary of the Ghana Institution of Engineering (GhIE) responsible for day to day management, financial and administrative affairs as well as making inputs to policy formulation.
Carlien has served on a number of governing boards and councils including those of the Volta River Authority, Volta Hotel, the Cape Coast Polytechnic, Road Fund and the Ministerial Tender Review Board of the Ministry of Water Resources Works and Housing. Currently, she serves on the Boards of the Electricity Company of Ghana, Architectural and Engineering Services Ltd, Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) College of Science and Technology (CCST) and North Ridge Lyceum. She also operates, a food manufacturing firm, Zeno Enterprise.
Carlien is a Fellow and Past President (2017-2018) of the GhIE and the President Elect (2019-2020) of the Federation of African Engineering Organisations (FAEO).
FAEO President Awards and Service to Engineering:
- EERI-GFDRR Housner Fellowship (2012) – Awarded by Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (EERI) with funding from the Global Facility for Disaster Recovery and Reduction (GFDRR).
- UNESCO Travel Award (2011) – For International Conference of Women Engineers and Scientists (ICWES15).
- Ghana Women of Excellence Award – Building (2011) – Ministry of Women and Children’s Affairs.
- SEAM Prize for Best Paper (1993) – For paper on “Structural Failures Within the City of Accra” Selected from 47 international papers presented at Conference on Structural Engineering Analysis and Modelling (SEAM3).
- Improving the Earthquake Safety of Ghana’s Schools, 16th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering (16WCEE), Santiago, Chile, 9-13 January 2017.
- Rules for the Provision of Earthquake Resistance in Small Buildings In Ghana, International Conference of Women Engineers and Scientists (ICWES 15), Adelaide, Australia, 19-22 July 2011.
- The Design of Buildings for Public Safety in the Event of an Earthquake, Proceedings of the 2011 Annual General Conference of Ghana Institution of Engineers (GhIE), Kumasi, 22-2 March 2011.
- Women in Engineering (WINE) Achieving Excellence and Leadership -A Study of Needs In Ghana, Poster Presentation, WFEO World Engineers’ Convention 2008: Brasilia, 3-5 December 2008.